Thursday, February 27, 2014

Drawn to Reading!


If you read my personal blog, you might know that my little dude is not all that into crafts (unlike his big sissy and his mama). One place, though, where he is sure to get into making a craft project is at the library with Mrs. D! This week he made this fun dump truck that actually moves. So cool, right? This went along with the week's topic of -- you guessed it -- trucks, a fan favorite of all four-year-old boys. Naturally, he had a lot to say during the read-alouds.

The more exciting thing to me, however, is what's inside the cab of the truck... Take a look at his very first drawing of a person! It's a portrait of yours truly. He made sure to tell me that I have no hair. Your guess is as good as mine, but the point is that our library offers a wonderful program for preschool age children. It has inspired my little guy to do crafts and begin drawing, which is definitely a step toward literacy. (And just in case you are wondering, I am not bald, even though being the mama of a little boy can make me want to tear my hair out at times.)

2 comments:

  1. Very Matisse-like, both in it's collage aspects as well as the drawing of "you".

    Additionally, regarding it's working/dynamic aspects of the pivoting dump bed, that is a very common practice in engineering, to make what is called a "cardboard model" in 2-D of a proposed mechanism, or anything that moves actually, in order:
    1) to see if it "works" like it did in your head, and
    2) to see if it runs into anything else that you didn't anticipate in your head.

    So maybe you aren't raising a "crafter" in the typical sense, but you may have an artist or an engineer on your hands (though in the broad definitions I use, I consider them "crafts" as well).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this project -- our 5-year grandson Gavin will be spending four days with us soon. This will be in our plans. What a great project.

    ReplyDelete