Sunday, March 2, 2014

In Due Time: A Group Collaborative Story

7:47 P.M. I wasn’t always a clock watcher. It just started lately, like I’m waiting for something important to happen. Waiting for my life to turn around. I figure it has to at some point, you know?

“C’mon, girl, look alive! These people ain’t gonna serve themselves,” barked Dan, my boss and owner of Dan’s Diner. If you haven’t heard of it, consider yourself lucky. Dan’s not much of a cook, but I shouldn’t really complain ‘cause he keeps me on and all. And truth be told, I’m not much of a waitress, either. It’s not like it was my grand plan in life to be a waitress, but it pays the bills for now.

Only 13 minutes ‘til my shift ends. I sighed and hoisted myself off of the counter stool and padded over to the old bat at table 4. She comes ‘round this time most nights and orders a coffee and a slice of whatever “pie” Dan is serving that night. I don’t know her name, and she’s a miserable tipper, but we have an understanding. I don’t ask her about her personal life, and she doesn’t ask me about mine.

She’s the only customer who doesn’t give me The Look. See, most folks ‘round here eye me up and down. They can’t miss the apron straining ‘round my big belly – it’s gettin’ bigger by the day, I swear – and that tired look in my face like I’m gettin’ old before my time. And then they always check for a ring, which, of course I don’t have. I mean, really now, how many 19 year olds do you know who have a wedding ring?

Every now and then, some real jerk will make some sarcastic comment about how my name doesn’t suit. Chastity. He’ll spit it out like he’s got an awful taste in his mouth, like it’s a dirty word or something. Not my fault my mama pegged me with that name, not that it’s anybody’s business. Most folks are a bit nicer and they just shoot me The Look – the one that says “you poor girl!”

But this old lady, she’s different for some reason, gentler. Never looks at me with pity or judgment. It really makes me wonder why she hangs around a dump like Dan’s night after night. “Coffee and a slice of the pie, right? Tonight it’s cherry. Well, that’s what he calls it anyhow,” I told her with a wink.

7:49 P.M. I can’t forget that time, ‘cause it’s when my life suddenly changed. She laid her hand on my arm, which was real odd, and sort of whispered to me, “Not tonight, dear. I’ve got something very important to discuss with you. Please have a seat.”

I glanced over at Dan.  He'd just love to see me sitting while I'm supposed to be working.  But, really, it didn't look like anybody was in need of me and hadn't I been feeling that my life was going to change?  And soon?  I pulled out the chair and sat down.

She smiled and was quiet for a moment.  And then, "Have you been reading, on the internet, about someone going around the country and giving huge tips to waitresses?"

Oh, my gosh!  Yes!  Yes!  Of course I had read about this.  Had day-dreamed about $5,000 dropping into my lap -- or more!  My heart raced, the baby's heart raced (weren't we attached?). I cleared my throat.  "I have."

The old woman shook her head.  "I'm sorry.  I shouldn't have started out that way.  I'm not going to do that."  Although I tried to keep my face passive, disappointment must have shown.  She patted my arm.  "But I do have something of value for you."

7:53 P.M. So this is the new norm.  I'd heard that said once but never really thought much about it.  I guess that constant drip-drip-drip of the bathroom faucet had become my new norm, seeing as there was no money to fix it.  Being pregnant and having to hover over the toilet more often than Dan scowled at me had also become my new norm.  A baby would eventually become my forever norm. 

But, this?  The old woman continued to stare at me, not saying a word, obviously waiting for me to collect my thoughts.  Yeah, right.  My thoughts had scattered to the farthest reaches of the universe.  This woman had just handed me a locket, which she'd slowly cracked open to show me two miniature pictures--a young gal and a baby--and told me the infant was me.  And the other was my mother.

"I'm sorry, dearie," the old woman finally gave up waiting for me to say anything.  "I didn't know any other way to tell you."

I could see Dan tilt his head toward another customer.  My cue to get a move on.  But my legs had turned to wood.  I wasn't going anywhere until this had been resolved.

"Don't dearie me," I said, turning back to the old woman.  "I don't have a mother, never knew her, and don't care to."

                                    *                                         *                                      *

7:56 P.M.  "Chastity, dearie...oops...sorry I called you "dearie" again after you asked me not to. It's just my nature. I know I'm not going about this very well. But everyone has a mother, whether you knew her or not. And if you don't care to know her...well, I suppose that's your prerogative."

Her voice trailed off, almost to silence as she finished her last sentence. She looked down to her hands in her lap. She was wringing them such that the skin wrinkled like waves in the surf at times whilst at other times it was pulled as smooth as youth itself. Would my skin be like that sometime in the future? Would I someday be just like this woman because she was...

I was conscious that my thought had trailed off just like her sentence had mere moments before. The silence, internal and external, was quickly shattered though. "Chastity! What the hell? Table 5 is waiting for their check." I'd really ticked off  Dan now. My head went back and forth between this old lady, the locket in my hands and table 5. What time was it...WHAT TIME WAS IT?

7:59 P.M. The old lady took the locket from my hands. I didn't understand what I was feeling. I wanted to keep it more than I wanted to give it back to her. And I wanted it gone a LOT. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have showed you this. I shouldn't have ever started coming in here. It took me all this time to even bring this up and I've handled it horribly. I'd better go." She stood and walked toward the door. I stood, stunned, for a moment and then rushed after. At least I had the presence of mind to hold up my index finger to table 5. "I'll be right with you."

"Wait," I yelled after her from the doorway. "Are you my mother?"

She turned slowly, only a half turn, her head pivoting so that she was almost looking towards me. "No," was all she said.



8:00 P.M. Like Cinderella rushing from the castle at the stroke of midnight, I waddled as fast as I could after the old lady.  “Don’t leave! Don’t leave me here!” I shouted as I followed her out of the diner; suddenly feeling very alone. “I want to come with you!” The old lady was nowhere in sight.

 Where did that come from I wondered, again not understanding why I felt so strongly.  I’ve seen her every night; same time, same place, same order, like clockwork. The old lady has shown every day since the day my monthly visitor didn’t show up.  Was the baby the reason she was here? I placed my hand protectively over my large belly.  The baby gave a small thump in answer.

Feeling abandoned and suddenly exhausted, I turned back towards the diner and Dan standing in the doorway.  He did not look amused.  “What the H was that about Chastity? I’m running a diner here, not a spa!” Dan bellowed.

“I thought she forgot something important.” I meekly squeaked out, while looking down and willing myself not to cry.  She did forget something important.  She forgot to take me home with her. Home. I want to go home.



I glanced at the clock on the wall. 8:04 P.M. My shift was over, but judging by the look on Dan’s face, I was gonna have to put in a few more minutes or risk having him skim a bit off my paycheck. Can’t afford that, not with the baby due to arrive in three weeks. I waddled over to table 5 and was relieved to hear that they were ready to order. I slid the order slip onto the counter and took a seat on the stool.

8:09 P.M. Dan frowned at me and nodded toward the mop bucket. Sighing, I slid down again, not so gracefully mind you, but I made it. At least pushing the mop around would give me a little more time to think. It seemed like I had been in a holding pattern for the past few weeks. That old lady is important somehow. Either to my past, my future, or both. Why didn’t she at least leave the locket? Believe it or not, it was the first time I had ever seen a photo of my mother!

 8:11 P.M. If she wasn’t my mother, then who was she? How did she get the locket? Unfortunately, I didn’t have any more time to ponder how I was connected to the old woman. Seriously?! This is not my night. Now, I’ve wet my pants, too. I giggled at my next thought, at least I’m already moppin’ the floor.

Slowly, it dawned on me, my water broke! Next thing I knew, I was doubled over in pain. I don’t remember what happened next. When I came to, I was in the back of an ambulance. Great! Who’s gonna pay for that? That was all I could think about, at least until another wave of contractions hit, and then I couldn’t really think at all. I wanted to pull myself into a fetal position, but I was strapped down.

That’s when I heard a vaguely familiar voice say, “Chastity, you have to breathe.” Easy for her to say! She doesn’t have some alien being trying to tear its way out of her body! Then, I felt guilty for thinking ill of my unborn child. I swear, I’m gonna be a good mother. Or at least a better one then my own mother was. “Chastity,” the voice repeated, drawing me back to reality.

I was startled to look into the eyes of the old woman, the one from the diner, the one I had foolishly believed to be some sort of fairy godmother. As if those exist! A million questions raced through my head, but I only asked one. For some reason, it seemed to be the most important. “What time is it?”

She patted my arm like she had done in the diner.  "So like your mother.  She couldn't handle it.  I hope you can."  I saw the locket was still in her hands and she opened it up, looking at the pictures once again.  She sighed and looked at my belly.  "Another generation is about to start.  It's time you knew the truth."
                                 
                                *                                         *                                      *



“Chastity, I’m so sorry.  So, so sorry. The truth is … The truth is you’re cursed. I’m so sorry, but I have to tell you right now.  Now, before the baby’s born.” She nodded towards my belly. “That’s the curse, you see.” She crooned sympathetically.  “I’m so very sorry. I’ve come to take you home, but she stays.  The baby stays here on earth.”


“Noooooooo!” I moaned through clenched teeth as the pain ripped through my belly. Tears streaked along my cheeks. I tried to fight the restraints to get away. Home. I’ve always longed for home.  


“I have to take you.  I wish I didn’t. All the generations of mothers I’ve taken and daughters that were left behind, each separation is painful. It’s my curse too.” The old lady confessed as she gently wiped the sweat and tears from my face.


As another pain clawed my belly, I looked deep into the old lady’s eyes and screamed, “No! No I will not go with you! I’m keeping my baby!”


8:20 P.M. The old lady spat out, “Chastity, do you think you’re the first mother to say that to me.  We’re already on our way.  Look around you.  You’re not in an ambulance.  Look close. It has begun.”
 
“NO-O-O-O-O-O-O! You can’t make me leave the baby! She’s mine!” I flew upright, clawing at the woman’s face. Wait, what’s going on? I’m not tied down any more? I’m not in the ambulance… or whatever that was! Where am I?

“Chastity, calm down. Nobody is trying to take you away from your baby,” said the old woman sweetly.“I don’t believe you!” I spat at her. There has to be somebody who can help me! I have to figure out where I am and how to get away. Frantically, I swung my head around. I saw pale green walls… White bed sheets…  I was hooked up to an IV. I’m in a hospital room? Am I safe here? Is she going to take me away from the baby?! I need help!

Then I noticed the clock, and I had to study it. I needed to know the time. 10:59 P.M. That can’t be right! The old woman followed my eyes to the clock and together we watched the hands move. 11:00 P.M. How did I lose so much time?! What happened?

As if reading my mind, she said gently, “You are safe.” For some reason that made no sense, I immediately felt relieved. I should have been horrified. After all, she had just been trying to kidnap me. I had a sense that this wasn’t the case, like it had been a bad dream or something. I sighed as I thought, I’m not going anywhere! It’s all okay.

She nodded, knowingly. Then she pushed a button beside my bed, and said, “Nurse, my granddaughter has awakened.” Before I could even register that last piece of news, a young nurse in bright pink scrubs hurried into the room and began checking my vital signs and asking me all sorts of questions. I realized that I had a terrible headache, and touching my hand to the back of my head, I felt a large bump. Although, compared to the pain of the contractions, it was minor.

“You’ve had a very eventful evening, haven’t you?” asked the nurse, consulting the read-out from one of the machines. You have no idea. First there was the attempted kidnapping, although, I’m not sure if that was even real. Then, I discovered my grandmother… She added, “The good news is that you shouldn’t have any long term damage from your head injury.” Head injury? What happen…  Out of habit I glanced at the clock. 11:12 P.M. I guess that explains the lost time. And that crazy dream about the curse.

The nurse derailed my train of thought, saying, “Your contractions are two minutes apart, you’re fully dilated, and it’s time to push, Chastity.” I nodded. This feels right. My grandmother held my hand the entire time. This feels right. I was focused on bringing my baby into the world, and I didn’t need to look at the clock again until someone had laid her in my arms. 

12:00 A.M. I’m a mother. This feels right. This was the big life change that I was waiting for. My grandmother (I still have a hard time saying that!) wiped a single tear from her eye, and noting the time, and laughingly said, “I suppose you could call her Cinderella.”  I instantly replied, “Her name is Hope.” The past no longer mattered. It was a brand new day, and I had a beautiful future to look forward to with my new family. Hope is what changed my life.



4 comments:

  1. Meg, that is an awesome start. I was pulled in immediately. I can't wait to see what JR adds and then the pressure's on for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent wrap up Meg! What a roller coaster!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful -- I so enjoyed reading this.

    ReplyDelete